One of the top features you’ll want included in your Yoga or Pilates studio software is a mobile app.
Traditionally this meant having to go (or send your students) to an app store to search for and download a (native) app.
This process creates a number of barriers to engaging your students including:
- Having to jump through a number of hoops (including authentication) to get the app
- Not everyone wants to install another app (app fatigue)
- Students may not have space on their phone to install a native app
- Some may have privacy concerns about installing native apps
Introducing the PWA
Today there is a new type of mobile app which are smaller, faster and can be downloaded with 1 click to your phones home screen. They are called PWA or progressive web apps.
Here are some benefits of progressive web apps
- Near instantaneous loading (on the second visit)
- Installed on the home screen as an app icon
- A full-screen user experience
- Takes up less space than a native app
- Support offline access
- Support push notifications
- No authentication required for installation
Futhermore, as Google notes, PWAs are user experiences that have the reach of the web, and are:
- Reliable – Load instantly and never show the downasaur, even in uncertain network conditions.
- Fast – Respond quickly to user interactions with silky smooth animations and no janky scrolling.
- Engaging – Feel like a natural app on the device, with an immersive user experience.
Why we choose PWA
When we built Bookamat in 2015 we made the decision that it would be a web based platform because the web could deliver all the functionality our clients needed.
In addition, building native apps for Android and iPhone would significantly increase our running costs and slow down our ability to deploy updates and new features.
In 2019 we started offering Bookamat as a PWA. This has meant the following benefits to our clients:
- Studio and students can install the app with 1 click from our homepage
- The app takes up less space than tradition native apps
- Students don’t have to install our app to enjoy access to their bookings
- Studios can access their schedule with 1 click
- Students can access their classes with 1 click
The final word
At Bookamat we try to make decisions which will create mutual value for us and our clients.
By choosing PWA over native apps we can deliver a more affordable service to our customers. In addition we are able to deliver the highest level of mobile accessibility plus lower the mobile barriers for students.
In the words of Y Media Labs:
The fact that it (PWA) removes the barrier of having to go to one of the native app stores to find, authenticate and install the application prior to using it means it’s ultimately easier to integrate it as part of your content, paid and social strategies. That’s tangible value for any brand.https://ymedialabs.com/progressive-web-apps